Apr 14, 2012

The Colour of Magic (Büyünün Rengi)

Original Title: The Colour of Magic (Discworld, #1)
Turkish Title: Büyünün Rengi (DiskDünya, #1)
English Title: The Colour of Magic (Discworld, #1)
Author: Terry Pratchett
Pages: 331
My Rating: 1/5

WHY THIS BOOK?
Just because of a nice coincidence! On the day I bought this book, I came across Geeky Daddy's "In the Humor of It All Reading Event".

THE STORY:
The Colour of Magic starts out with a wizard named Rincewind running into a couple of bad guys or thieves and goes on with the story of how Rincewind and his tourist Twoflowers as well as a magical trunk burned down a town and how he got into this situation.

MY COMMENTS:
Before I started reading the book, I read/heard both nice and bad things about the book so I was kind of neutral. Plus, a lot has been written about the Discworld series so I had to give it a try. Unfortunately, there was noone around to tell me that I shouldn't start the series with this particular book.

Throughout the book, there was a ruch of introducing forgettable characters and forgettable places. At the end, the only characters I remembered were Rincewind, Twoflower and Death (my favourite character). The characters don't progress or mature or develop any kinds of relationships as the story continues. I couldn't care less about the characters and I was pretty confused all along.

I didn't find it amusing or funny (Apologies to Discworld fans!) I believe the most hilarious part is the fact that The Colour of Magic is set on a disk balanced on the back of elephants, all balancing on a big turtle. Here I appreciate the fantastic world Terry Pratchett created.

I don't think I'll give a second chance to another book of the Discworld in the near future although many reviewers write that this is the worst book in the series and the other books are much better. Well, I don't remember getting bored this much while reading for a long time so my apologies to Sir Terry Pratchett.

No comments :

Post a Comment