Jul 7, 2013

Semi-Charmed Summer 2013 Book Challenge

It's been quite a while since I last posted in English and participated in a challenge this year. My spirit went up when I saw Megan's Summer Reading Challenge. I participated this challenge last year and did better than I expected. It was great fun to pick up the books and then try to read them all.

There are various categories in this challenge and with each step you accomplish, you get points. The maximum you can reach is 200 points. My personal aim is to pass 100 points. The challenge runs from July 1 to September 30). Here comes my list of what I plan to read:

1.  The Windup Girl / Paolo Bacigalupi to get 5 points for reading any book I like.
2. Jamilia / Chingiz Aytmatov to get 5 points for reading a book that is less than 150 pages long.
3. Fifty Shades of Grey / E.L. James to get 10 points for reading a book with a colour in the title.
4. The Ghost Brigades / John Scalzi to get 10 points for reading a book that is not the first in a series. (The Ghost Brigades is the second book of Scalzi's The Old Man'a War serie).
5. The City and the City / China Miéville to get 15 points for reading a book it seems everyone but I has read.
6. Brave New World / Aldous Huxley to get 15 points for reading a banned book.
7. I need to find a book written by a celebrity to get 20 points!
8. A-Bomb: A City Tells Its Story / Yoshiteru Kosakai to get 20 points for reading a book that is non-fiction.
9. Life of Pi / Yann Martel to get 20 points for reading a book that doesn't take place in Turkey.
10. Contact / Carl Sagan to get 25 points for reading a book that is at least 400 pages long.
11. I need to find a book with a main character that shares my first name to get 25 points but I don't think I will ever find it. (@Megan: As our host, if you give me any American name/nickname, maybe I'll give it a try :)
12. A Walk Across The Sun / Corban Addison to get 30 points for reading a book written by an author who was born in my birth year, 1979.

I really liked this challenge. It's gonna be fun :)

One final question for Megan, the great host: I want to see if Turkish book bloggers would be interested in this challenge if I hosted it in Turkish. I need to get your consent first of course. Book bloggers are pretty new in Turkey and reading challenges are not really common. I'd like to give it a try if you let me. Thanks :)

3 comments :

  1. You should check out A Lucky Man: A Memoir by Michael J. Fox for number 7

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi :) I'm doing the book challenge too and just noticed you are in Turkey. My son is in Turkey at the moment. He just moved over there last month and expects to be there a year or two. He's in the Air Force, stationed at Adana.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also read Brave New World for the book challenge! How are you doing so far? Very cool that you're from Turkey. My dad was in the AF and I lived in Adana for four years growing up. It is so beautiful over there. I hope to go visit again some day soon! :)

    ReplyDelete