Feb 4, 2013

The Thief and the Dogs

Original Title: نجيب محفوظ
English Title: The Thief and the Dogs
Turkish Title: Hırsız ve Köpekler
Author: Naguib Mahfouz
Pages: 113
My Rating: %83
When I was reading this book...: I was overstressed to be the last one to read and review this book for my bookish monthly event.

WHY THIS BOOK?
I host a monthly event in my blog for Turkish book bloggers. Each month we choose an author and participants read whichever book they choose from that author. The author of the month of January was Naguib Mahfouz and I was the last amongst the participants to read and review his book.

THE STORY:
It is the story of Said Mahran, who was betrayed by almost all the people that were close to him. Because of this betrayal, he had to spend years in prison. Starting from the minute he was set free, he had one thing in mind: revenge. In this novella, we learn about how he plans and justifies his revenge strategy.

MY COMMENTS:
Well, the plot of this novella is really simple. If you are looking for deep character developments, long descriptions of place and time and surroundings, you will not be able to find any in this book. Still, it is such an impressive book. That is how one becomes a great author: Being able to deliver all the social messages you want to give between the lines, bieng sincere to the reader through your characters. This was my second Mahfouz novel and I am so happy as there are many other books by him to be discovered by me :)

1 comment :

  1. Thanks for posting this review to the Middle East Reading Challenge! I have this author's Cairo Trilogy sitting unread in my private library. Maybe after reading your review I will finally start reading those three novels- as well as more by Mahfouz.

    ReplyDelete