Apr 7, 2012

The Dystopia 2012 Challenge

It was only last year when I learned about what dystopia actually meant but I had paused blogging at the time. Now that I am back in the blogsphere, I can take my chances this time. For those of you who wonder dystopia, check Diva Schuyler's definition.

Last week, in one of the online-bookstores in Turkey there was a big discount on all kinds of sci-fi and fantasy books (including dystopian novels of course) and I bought a good number of books.

The challenge is run by Bookish Ardour. It started at the beginning of this year but we still have 9 months to go. Plus, I haven't read any dystopian novels till now but I will in the coming months.

There are 7 levels in this challenge and I liked the naming so I want to share it here as well: Asocial (5 books), Contagion (15 books), Soldier (30 books), Drone (50 books), Conditioned (75 books), Brainwashed (76-135 books), Totalitarian (136-200 books). I admire those who will manage any level including and above Contagion level. I manage to read 50-60 books per year and I try to read as diversified as possible so I will go with Asocial level and here are the books I am planning to read:
  1. A Clockwork Orange (1962) by Anthony Burgess
  2. Make Room! Make Room! (1966) by Harry Harrison
  3. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (1968) by Philip K. Dick
  4. The Shockwave Rider (1975) by John Brunner
  5. Ender's Game (1985) by Orson Scott Card
I really liked my list. If I manage to read and review them all, I feel like I will be able to show my admiration and gratitude to some of the older masters of dystopia.

No comments :

Post a Comment