Apr 23, 2010

Küçük Arı (Little Bee)


Original Title: Little Bee
Turkish Title: Küçük Arı
English Title: Little Bee
Author: Chris Cleave
Pages: 343
Rating: 4/5
WHY THIS BOOK?
It was one of the best-sellers in all bookstores in Ankara. My sister and I, we both loved the cover of the book and bought it together. As I’m writing this review, my sister, Pelin is still reading the book.
THE STORY:
The story is about Sarah, a London magazine editor, and a young Nigerian woman, known as Little Bee. They get involved with each other on a beach in Nigeria with a horrifying moment of crisis. They never expect to see ach other again. However, Little Bee finds Sarah in England after spending two years in an immigration detention center. The day she arrives is a turning point in Sarah’s life.
MY COMMENTS:
The chapters of the book going between Sarah and Little Bee just took me away from my own world to theirs. Only after I finished reading the book, I realized how cleverly the author touched many big issues ranging from globalization, corrupt forces, and ongoing wars for oil in Africa.

For me it was a both painful and beautiful book to read. The things happened on the Nigerian beach was the center of the book but the author was really creative in limiting the details to be provided to the reader. While reading the book, you realize that you are making up the beach in your mind on your own with the guidance of the author and you suddenly become Sarah or Sarah’s husband or Little Bee or Little Bee’s sister. I wonder if there are any women out there who read the book and resisted putting themselves in Little Bee’s or Sarah’s shoes. It is hard to believe all these were written by a man.

No comments :

Post a Comment