Mar 26, 2010

Spring Reading Thing 2010


As I was surfing over the net today, I came across Katrina’s blog and saw this nice logo for “Spring Reading Thing”. I really loved the logo. The weather is getting warmer and warmer in Ankara and I’ve already started dreaming about taking an afternoon off from work in April and/or May, grabbing a nice book, going to my university’s campus, lying on the grass and reading forever. I have no connections with the uni now. I graduated almost 10 years ago but I miss student laziness at spring time...

Well, about my blog: I am a newbie in book-blogging world and a bit obssessed with all kinds of challenges and reading lists. Katrina’s reading thing is a really relaxed challenge and I just needed to review my ever-growing TBR list to join. I’ll link the updates to the reviews I made to this page as I read along (in case you feel like reading them).

I tried to build up the list considering how soon I want to read the books, how soon I have to read the books and number of pages I can cover in this time frame. If I succeed in reading all, it’d be a huge success. I may not be able to do it though. I have preplanned business trips and short holidays planned for this period.

One last thing, thanks to Goodreads, I learned about “1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die” list and another great book-blogger, Arukiyomi is soon gonna release a spreadsheet of the list. I hope some of the books below are already in that list.

Well, here is my list till June 20, 2010:

The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time, #1) / Robert Jordan ~ Actually this is the book I’m reading right now. I started reading it two days ago. My sister had suggested me to take a shot at “The Wheel of Time” fantasy series long ago and I finally decided to give it a try. It’s a long way to go as there are 12 or 13 books in total and each book is quite thick. The Turkish version I’m reading now is 800 pages.

The Bone Pedlar / Sylvian Hamilton ~ The company I work in has a library. I try to borrow from the library from time to time but my options are really limited. They don’t bring any new books at all and people rarely donate. Still, it is a library. Anyway, I borrowed this book and I have to return in by the end of first week of April.

Nineteen Eighty-Four / George Orwell ~ It’s a classic I feel bad about not having read it. It’s one of those books I feel like “everyone else has read but me”. I finally bought it last week.

The Hound of Baskervilles / Sir Arthur Conan Doyle ~ It’s the choice of my book club for April 2010.

The Kite Runner / Khaled Hoessini ~ It’s a book I immediately bought after I read “A Thousand Splendid Suns” by the same author. I want to read it soon because my husband and I have been planning to watch the movie for quite some time. I don’t like watching the movie before reading the book and my love is patiently waiting for me to read the book.

Little Bee / Chris Cleave ~ This book has been on the bestseller list of many Turkish bookstores for the past few weeks. I read a few reviews and liked them. I already bought the book and promised to lend it to my sister once I read it.

The Girl with a Dragon Tattoo / Stieg Larsson ~ Another book my sister and I recently decided to read and already bought. She is reading it right now and soon it is going to be my turn.

The Madonnas of Leningrad / Debra Dean ~ I bought this book because of Lesley's book blog. Actually this was the site that inspired me to start a blog of my own in February 2010. I check this site almost everyday not only because of the reviews themselves but also because of the site design. I like thecolors of this site. I’m planning to write a long thank you letter to Lesley once I read this book. Probably she has no idea that there is a crazy Turkish bookworm in Ankara totally obssessed withher site:)

XXX / Pinar Kür ~ I know the author I’ll be reading from but I don’t know the name of the book yet. For one of the challanges I joined I have to read a book by an author who has the same name and/or surname with you. A colleague of mine likes Pinar Kür books and she’ll lend me one of her books in late April.

The Lightning Thief / Rick Riordan ~ This is “book of the month” (for April) of one of the book clubs I follow on Goodreads. It’s also a book I have to read because I want to see the movie.

The Time Traveller’s Wife / Audrey Niffenegger ~ A good Postcrossing and Goodreads friend, Sanne has recently read it and recommended it to me. I liked the story as well. I just need to buy the book.

Nana / Emile Zola ~ A book my sister bought for me with her limited student budget from a second hand bookstore. I have no choice but to read it. I haven’t read any books by Zola so a good opportunity to try.

X / X ~ Whatever my book club will decide to read in May

X / X ~ Whatever my book club will decide to read in June

1 comment :

  1. Theres a great selection there, funny though because I brought A thousand splendid suns after reading the Kite Runner and have been meaning to read that for ages.

    ReplyDelete