Dec 13, 2012

Have Space Suit - Will Travel

Original Title: Have Space Suit - Will Travel
English Title: Have Space Suit - Will Travel
Turkish Title: Uzay Elbisemle Yolculuğa Hazırım
Author: Robert A. Heinlein
Pages: 243
My Rating: 1/5
While I was reading this book...: ... I constantly looked for a piece in the book to like it.

WHY THIS BOOK?
Heinlein was one of the sci-fi authors I decided to read a book from at the beginning of this year and I had to do it.

THE STORY:
It was the story of Kip Russell, a high school graduate, deeply dreaming of travelling to the stars. This young man participated in a draw with great efforts. He couldn't win the big prize (travelling to the moon) but he did win a space suit. One night he went out with his space suit on and he was abducted by aliens.

MY COMMENTS:
I tried hard to like this book but I just couldn't. I guess I was literally lost in space. I didn't like the long, graphic descriptions of how a space suit works. I don't like when "sci" element is more in content than "fi" element in a sci-fi book. My taste (dislike) for this book was similar to that of Jules Verne's From the Earth to the Moon.

I do know Heinlein is one of the masters of sci-fi literature. Although the first book I read by him was kind of a disappointment for me, I will definitely read another book by him in 2013. Probably I'll be reading his Hugo award winner book, The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress. Maybe I didn't like this book because it was one of his early works and then I'll fall in love with his literature with his work from 1960s onwards.

No comments :

Post a Comment