Mar 6, 2010

3) The Lost Symbol


Original Title: The Lost Symbol
Turkish Title: Kayıp Sembol
English Title: The Lost Symbol
Author: Dan Brown
Pages: 527
Rating: 4/5
Applicable Challenges: 50 Books A Year
WHY THIS BOOK?
Firstly, everyone in the office was reading it and I had to read it to socialize:) Secondly, I had kind of liked “The Da Vinci Code” and “Angels and Demons”.
THE STORY:
If you read “The Da Vinci Code”, then you know our guy, Robert Langdon. This time he is to give a conference in Washington and he had been invited by his dear friend, Peter Solomon, who is the head of the Smithsonian Institute. When Robert Langdon arrives in Washington, a series of all crazy events start to take place one after another and as usual Langdon succeeds in solving all the ancient mysteries and of course, saves a woman.
MY COMMENTS:
Before I started the book, I knew that I would finish it off in a short period of time because Dan Brown books are easy to read. Reading his books is like watching a movie. The story takes you in and you just go with the flow. I also had my own challenge when I was reading it. Everyone in the office had read it already so I had to be really quick to catch up before I face any spoilers. I know that this book broke many sales records as soon as it went on sale. Wikipedia says it has immediately become the fastest selling adult-market novel in history. Well, the author had a great reputation already and with good marketing, it is a natural outcome.

In one of the articles I had read about this book, it was mentioned that the book’s success was due to economic crisis. As Dan Brown has the talent of engaging people in his novels through interesting societies, international organizations and supra-national bodies, it makes people forget their everyday financial problems. I strongly agree with this argument because the book sold a good number in Turkey as well and we are not a reading-loving nation. I do not like to say this here but there were many pirate copies in Turkey and actually it’s another indicator of people’s interest in the book.

No comments :

Post a Comment